Saturday, February 27, 2016

Questions to Ask Professionals about Nutrient Sufficiencies and Efficiencies

Questions to Ask Professionals about Nutrient Sufficiencies and Efficiencies


Some issues around supplements need to be discussed with a professional
nutritionist or other holistic practitioner. For example, how do you know what
dosage of a nutrient is best for you? Your needs depend on your existing nutritional
status, your biochemical makeup, and your individual risk factors for breast cancer.

Your practitioner may suggest conducting specific tests that would indicate your
need for specific nutrients. This up-front spending can bring large dividends in the
long run, because you can then be more judicious in using only those supplements
that will provide the most benefit. Other questions to ask your practitioner are:


  • How and when should I take the supplement?
  • How long should I take the supplement?
  • What interactions among nutrients do I need to watch for?
  • What interactions might the supplements have with the herbs or medications I take?


You will usually get what you pay for. We feel that it is far better to take fewer
supplements of better quality than to swallow a trunkful of “junk” supplements that
could wind up doing more harm than good.

Keep in mind that supplements, no matter how useful, do not and never will have
the same power as nutrient-dense, whole Eating for Health foods. Supplements are
meant to be used as an adjunct to a healthy diet, never a replacement. Be sure to
work with your nutritionist or other holistic practitioner to determine which
supplements and dosages are right for your particular situation.

To Do


  • Be sure to get plenty of all required nutrients, paying special attention to those with documented anticancer activity and making sure to check for nutrient depletions from medications you may be taking.
  • Test your iodine and vitamin D levels, because iodine and vitamin D are your superstar protective nutrients. If you are deficient, take steps to raise your levels according to your practitioner ’s recommendations.
  • Avoid nutrients that can cause problems for people who are concerned about cancer recurrence: iron, copper, and synthetic folic acid.
  • Quality is more important than quantity when it comes to supplements. Make sure to take both adequate dosages and an absorbable and complete form of your nutrients.


Last Word

I was going crazy and spending all my money on every supplement that someone
mentioned might be useful. A turning point for me was when I finally decided to
invest in knowing what was happening in my body, not my neighbor’s or running
partner’s. Once I started recognizing myself for the unique biochemical being
that I am, I could pick and choose the nutrients that made the most sense for me
and spend my money on high-quality supplements that I knew were going to
help.
—Carole B., breast cancer survivor

No comments:

Post a Comment

Warning !!!

=> Please leave a comment polite and friendly,
=> We reserve the right to delete comment spam, comments containing links, or comments that are not obscene,
Thanks for your comments courtesy :)